Date(s) - 30/04/2019
18:00 - 20:00
Her Majesty’s Naval Base, Devonport, is the largest naval base in Western Europe and is the sole nuclear repair and refuelling facility for the Royal Navy. Having begun as Royal Navy Dockyard in the late 17th century, shipbuilding ceased in the early 1970’s, but ship maintenance has continued. Babcock Marine now operates the privatised facilities.
For hundreds of years, Devonport Dockyard has played a significant role in Plymouth’s history, not least by employing 2,500 service personnel and civilians, supporting approximately 400 local firms and contributing roughly 10% to the income of Plymouth.
Major re-development of South Yard is well underway, including the construction of new homes, and Plymouth City Council’s Oceansgate office development. Returning southern parts of the Dockyard to the Devonport community.
As the Dockyard adapts to our nation’s military needs, future re-development plans are afoot within the base, which will continue to shape our city and influence our local construction industry for generations to come.
If you would like to discover some of the Dockyard’s interesting history, learn about the ongoing Oceansgate development in South Yard and consider what the future holds for the naval base then this talk is for you!
- John Williams. Devonport Naval Heritage Centre.
- Patrick Hartop. Head of City Deal. Economic Development. Plymouth City Council.
- Steve Smith. Head of Strategic Infrastructure Development. Babcock Marine.
How to book:
This is a free event for Constructing Excellence Plymouth Club members only. Places will be limited, so booking is essential.
- Firstly please sign-in to our website here using your username and password – this was provided to you when you joined. Please note: Corporate member staff must create their personal user account here first.
- Once signed-in you can book your place at the bottom of this page.
- Non-Members and Renewals: Please join our club or renew your membership here and then sign-in and book your place on this events page.
Annual membership of the Plymouth Constructing Excellence Club is £15 (individual) or £75 (corporate).
Please contact us with any queries here.
Public parking is available in Courtenay Street car park and Theatre Royal car park, both to the rear of the Civic Centre.
Refreshments from 18:00. Talk begins at 18:30. Close: 20:00.
Bookings are closed for this event.