Date(s) - 17/04/2018
18:00 - 20:00
For centuries, Plymouth’s waterfront has formed a key part of our city’s identity. Famous on a global scale, the Pilgrim Fathers left England from the Mayflower Steps aboard the Mayflower before crossing the Atlantic to settle in North America. Commanding panoramic views of Plymouth Sound, Plymouth Hoe is steeped in history and landmarks. The giants Gog and Magog, Sir Francis Drake’s famous game of bowls and the pioneering structure of Smeaton’s Tower to name just three.
In recent times, Plymouth’s waterfront has seen localised redevelopment. The Tinside Lido, new cafés and restaurants, the converted Grand Hotel and new Azure apartments, and the regeneration of Millbay Docks with new homes, business premises and a school.
Looking to the future, we can see various interesting projects on the horizon such as the 1620 hotel, a possible re-development of Drake’s Island and a Dubai-Style apartment building on Millbay Pier.
This talk will cover some of the most interesting aspects of our waterfront’s past, present and future and will be of general interest to people from all areas of the local construction industry who want to find out about this unique place.
- Chris Robinson. Local historian, artist and broadcaster.
- Sarah Gibson. Waterfront Manager and Chief Executive, Plymouth Waterfront Partnership.
- Marc Nash. Founding member of ADG and Chairperson of Plymouth Waterfront Advisory panel.
How to book:
This is a free event for Constructing Excellence Plymouth Club members only. Places will be limited, so booking is essential.
- Firstly please sign-in to our website here using your username and password – this was provided to you when you joined. Please note: Corporate member staff must create their personal user account here first.
- Once signed-in you can book your place at the bottom of this page.
- Non-Members and Renewals: Please join our club or renew your membership here and then sign-in and book your place on this events page.
Annual membership of the Plymouth Constructing Excellence Club is £15 (individual) or £75 (corporate).
Please contact us with any queries here.
Public parking is available in Courtenay Street car park and Theatre Royal car park, both to the rear of the Civic Centre.
Refreshments from 18:00. Talk begins at 18:30. Close: 20:00.
Bookings are closed for this event.